On 13/07/18 00:13, David A. Cobb wrote:
LibreOffice, as installed from the distro seems to have a serious startup
problem with AppArmor, maybe others, I cannot open any document.

SO, I went to Apache & SourceForge and picked up A.O.O 4.1; moved the
'soffice' symlink out of the way and installed it.  At first, it opened and
edited the file I needed most.
Then I noticed the complaint about "Can't find Java Runtime Environment."
I looked around and found the OpenJdk-11 JRE right where I expected it.
So I Googled around and found a Q&A blog-post saying OO required a i386
version of the JRE whereas I have a x86_64 version to match my machine.
I can find an 'i386' version, but I cannot practically satisfy its
dependencies.

FIRST dumb question: is the limitation correct that OO cannot use a 64bit
JRE?
That depends; the Windows version of AOO is 32 bit only so requires a 32 bit Java. AOO is available in both 32 and 64 bit versions for Linux, so you will need the appropriate Java to match the bitness of the AOO you downloaded.
SECOND dumb question: is there another way to solve this hangup.

P.S. I did try to install the 32-bit JRE and probably screwed the pooch --
today I cannot launch OO at all "application cannot be started.
ExceptionManager error in synchronize.

Cheers
--
David Robley

Political panjandrums prologize pedantic paronomasia.