I had this problem with mail merges until I found that when I was ready to
print the
merged documents and opened the Print window there are a number of tabs at
the
top - General - OpenOffice Writer - Page Layout - Options.
Go to the OpenOffice Writer and the last  item on this sheet is Page - with
a tick
box  for Print automatic inserted blank pages.  If there is a tick in the
tick box remove
it and this should solve the problem.
I know there are hundreds of different printers and various operating
systems but I always
see the same window come up for both Canon and Brother printers I have.  I
have
been using various versions of Windows from 95 to 10.  The earlier versions
I cannot
speak for but know this has been  the same in 7 and 10.
Hope this helps.