I'm on Windows 7 and using Open Office 4.1.2.

I want to make an image with text I write, a nice background, with some
space the same color as the background, around the writing so it looks
professional.

So far, in OO Writer, I got the background, and my text, but the text runs
from margin to margin, and so does the color, but the margin areas are
white.
How can I get the text to be smaller than the colored area?

In the end I'll want to save it as a .pdf and convert it to a .jpg or .img
or copy it to Paint, for uploading to an image sharing site, that I can
link to for social media.

I've followed directions from:
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/add-background-image-openoffice-document-63567.html

I'd like to be able to use:

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/add-text-over-image-openoffice-53710.html
(Adjust the intensity)
The steps for this are based in
http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/manuals/oooauthors/Working_with_Graphics.pdf

It isn't up to date or doesn't match my Apache Open Office.  My arrangement
for these steps is different.  And the "View," "Toolbars" and "Picture"
toolbar doesn't show any numbers. (Could this be because the computer is
using a lot of ram for FireFox?)  I'd really like to be able to lower the
intensity of an image to make the text stand out more, but I need the
directions to be for the Apache Open Office version that I'm using.  Is
there a help page that is newer, please?

Thanks so much!

Linda