Kurt,

I have read, but not experienced, that some antivirus products affect
installation or launch of OpenOffice.

Your experience, install seems successful but programs won't launch, sounds
very much like the problem described with Windows 10 and Windows Defender
Antivirus.

To test this, turn off Windows Defender and then try and launch an
OpenOffice program. If it launches successfully then find the file
"soffice.bin" on your hard drive. Once found, modify Windows Defender
Antivirus settings to add the folder it is in to "Controlled Folder Access"
in Windows Defender Security Center.

My reference for this suggestion is here:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/87858-add-protected-folders-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-a.html

For the latest version of OpenOffice the soffice.bin file should be found
here...
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.bin

--
Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011