At 11:25 24/05/2019 +0000, Prabir Chakrabarti wrote:
>I have been using "openoffice" for a few years now & find it very useful for
>most my works. It is true though that I still need to explore it thoroughly to
>use all features correctly.

Any facility worth its salt will require learning in order to use it fully.

>For the last 2/3 years I find some issues while using the spreadsheet [excel
>sheet] to file my I T returns.

I don't know what an "IT return" is: is this Indian for an income tax return?

>The IT return form consist of  4 - 5 inter connected sheets.

So this is a form provided to you, not a spreadsheet you have created yourself
- right?

>Data filled in some of the cells are picked up automatically by designated
>cells and Taxes / Deductions & finally taxes payable are calculated. This is
>where the problem occurs. Some odd cell would fail to transfer data for
>calculation.

My guess is that the forms have been constructed in such a way that they work
properly only in Microsoft's proprietary spreadsheet product, Excel. One
possibility is that the form contains macros, since the macro language used by
OpenOffice (Calc) is different from that used by Microsoft Excel. The fact that
macros are involved is confirmed at the Government of India's web site:
https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/downloads/incomeTaxReturnUtilities .

You may well think that for a government to require that its citizens can use
its facilities fully only by purchasing a specific piece of commercial software
is inappropriate. And you would not be alone; see
https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/microsoft-and-your-tax-returns/article20704989.ece1
 .

Your solution is one of:

o Complain to your member of parliament.

o Ask the Indian government to purchase you or provide access for you to
Microsoft Office.

o Purchase a licence for and use Microsoft Office.

o Obtain access to an installation of Microsoft Office, perhaps at work (if
this is permitted), in a library, or wherever, and fill in your form there.

o (Probably best, along with No. 1) Install a Java Runtime Environment (if you
don't already have it) an use the alternative "Java Utility" also available
from the Government of India's Income Tax Department.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker