I define my own variables for counting things such as figures. When you insert
a caption, this creates a frame that contains both the figure and the caption.
Especially if you have floating figures, this seems like a good idea. First,
there are a few times when things go poorly if you let things float around; for
example, importing into other things or exporting as HTML (to name two). Worse,
many years ago, there was a bug that caused OOo to completely fail to load a
document with exactly this configuration if another set of things lined up
perfectly. I had a very large document that just would not load becaues of it.
I ended up editing the XML version of the document until I found the spot that
caused the problem. The bug was fixed, of course, but I have not used that
method since then. Well, not for most of my documents.

I always embed my images as a character and let them flow with the text. By
always, I really mean almost always. This allows me to do things such as have
three images on a single line with a single caption. Sure, I can do it the
other way, but, the I need to embed the other two images into the frame (and
similar).

I have my own paragraph style for things such as figures, tables, and code
listings. Last I checked this is exactly how the documentation project does it.
I did it because that is how the documentation for OOo was done.

On Tuesday, September 03, 2019 13:50 EDT, "W. Robert J. Funnell, Prof."
<robert.funn...@mcgill.ca> wrote:
 On Tue, 3 Sep 2019, Andrew Pitonyak wrote:

> ... ... It sounds like you might want to add something like "keep
> with next paragraph", or something, but, I usually only use that for
> things such as captions where I really need to keep the caption with
> a figure, table, or code listing.

Andrew, I'm curious about why you don't use the Insert > Caption
feature for figures and tables.

- Robert