Do you want to sort data in column A -or- sort entire rows using column A
to order the rows?

The two operations produce different results.

I posted a video on YouTube ages ago showing these operations. The
interface is changed a bit since but the ideas, select what you want to
sort, then sort, haven't changed.

If you want a look, check here... Sorting a table in a spreadsheet,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTgDyNqqQY

If it doesn't address your issue, post back with a bit more detail.