Karen, not sure your goal.

If you want to print the email (you start with "...turn an email into a
pdf" and then you end with "...when I try to print", so I'm guessing you
want to print the email) why not use the "print" option in your email? It
saves a bunch of steps.

If you've tried printing the email while viewing and you don't get the
print out you expect, say extra parts of the web page are printing not only
the text of the email, then you may be selecting the print menu from the
browser and not from within the email.

With an email open type Ctrl+P. If the printing dialog that opens is the
one you usually see then for sure it is the wrong print option being used.
Click "Cancel" to return to your email. Then look carefully around the
edges of the email's reading area. See if you can locate a little printer
icon, a three periods "..."  icon,  or a "more..." link. The three periods
or the more link should lead to a printer selection if there isn't a print
icon on the message border. If you find a print option, try it.

You need to use the command to print the message (which is put on the page
as part of the email program), it is not the command to print the whole
webpage (everything in the browser window).

--
Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011