Save your work in progress as often as possible; don't wait until you are
closing the session.  Then, before you shut down your system make sure all your
files are closed properly.  These simple routines have helped me with the same
problems you describe.  Still, every once in a while, an OO file has to be
recovered but OO has never lost one of my files yet.
regards,

Gustavo