Sarah,

Another method, that would allow working on the spreadsheet without sending
a copy back and forth and back again, would be to save it online and share
it using a service like OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox and others.

The idea is you both use the same file so if you edit at 3pm and your son
at 4pm he sees your edits and vice versa without having to check email to
see if an updated version of the file is in the inbox.

I offer this suggestion because you wrote "share a file" which I'm thinking
means you both want to work with the same file so you can see each other's
progress.

If that's not your goal then Wade's suggestion is certainly the simpler
option.

--
Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011