Greetings,
Still trying to get the OO icon off of desktop when OO is running. Did not have
an icon on desktop when I used Word.
Again, followed every detail of installing on Mac per  instructions of :
(Q03/AQ03)Tutorial] Mac FAQ Apache OO Community Forum  by MrProgrammer 6/27/17)

 •Waited for  Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US.dmg to finish
•OO icon appeared on desktop.
•Dragged OO icon on desktop into Applications folder as per instructions: "Drag
the OpenOffice.app icon on that screen into the Applications folder icon on
that screen. Macs don't need an "install" program for this application."
(Please see screen shots of OO in Finder's Application Folder and in desktop
Applications Folder).

•Clicked on OO icon to start OO. Program started running and could use.
                                        BUT ...
•Followed additional instructions: " Use File → Eject "OpenOffice" (the dmg
file). Either delete the file with the dmg extension or put it in a safe place
in the rare case that you want to reinstall it later without re-downloading.
Sure about this?  If I deleted this .dmg file, then OO operating system no
longer available.
•End result: OO gray icon remain on desktop, when program running. (Even though
I initially dragged it into Applications Folder).
Thanks for any clarification from the Macintosh tech side. I can only hope that
the posted instructions are correct and I somehow keep misunderstanding some
salient point.

Good health to all.