Jeff,

Sharing the same file between multiple devices requires that each device
have access to the file. That is a function of network and server software,
not the program used to create/edit/view the file.

On Windows and Linux there are options to "Share" drives and directories.
The iMac has a similar feature. A description of how to use it can be found
here.
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-file-sharing-on-mac-mh17131/mac

Once the sharing is set up the file can be opened from your iPad. Here are
a couple descriptions how to do that once the file sharing has been set up.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-use-the-files-app-to-connect-to-a-network-server-from-your-iphone-or-ipad/
https://osxdaily.com/2019/11/04/how-connect-smb-share-iphone-ipad-files-app/

>From what I read, if asked to select a protocol when setting up the share,
select SMB.