Hello Jan,

>From your description I am understanding this happens with all Open Office
documents.

My suggestion is to do a test as follows.
*Create a new document with Writer.
*Save it as a Microsoft Word file, either .doc or .docx format, then close
Writer.
*Open Writer again and open the .doc(x) file that was just created.

If the file opens without the warning then it is possible the anti-malware
program on your computer is causing the problem. I have found reports of
this type of problem with Bitdefender.

If the test file did open without warning then disable your anti-malware
program (Bitdefender or whatever it may be) and try again to open some of
your Open Office documents. If they open without the warning then the
problem is the anti-malware program.

Report the problem to the anti-malware software vendor via their support
site. If they don't have a ready solution then find a different
anti-malware solution. Better to stay protected by moving to a different
product than stay unprotected waiting an indefinite amount of time for a
solution from the software vendor.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 2:27 PM Jan Beasley <j...@teamh2realty.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have been having trouble opening and editing Open Office documents, so I
> decided to download the latest release today thinking that would resolve
> the issue. It did not. I still receive the following error message when
> trying to open documents: Locked for Editing by: Unknown User. Open
> Document Read-Only or open a copy of the document for editing.
>
> So, every time I need to edit a document, I have to open a copy, make
> changes, and then save it as a new document under a slightly
> different name. This results in multiple documents for the same thing
> really.
>
> How can I fix this? Do I just lose all of my documents I have been saving
> for years, uninstall the program completely, and start all over? Please
> help!!
>
> Thank you, Jan
>
> *Jan Beasley, REALTORĀ®*
> *Team H2 Realty, LLC*
>
> *Direct*: (540) 836-5572
> *Email*: j...@teamh2realty.com
>
> RE/MAX Advantage
> 2017 West Main St
> Waynesboro, VA 22980
>
> Team H2 Realty - "DRIVE & EXPERIENCE"
>

> *Licensed to Sell Real Estate in Virginia*
>
> <
> >
> Virus-free.
> <

Alan Boba