Dave,

You identify parts as missing, how are you able to say this is so?

If the document opens without errors or warnings so you are able to see
"parts are missing" then the document has downloaded completely.

The missing parts may be references inside the document to parts that are
located outside the document and inaccessible to you. It is also possible
parts of the document are set to hidden and need to be unhidden to be
visible. The last possibility I can think of is change tracking. Visibility
of comments, changes and revision marks can be set in various ways so it
either looks like a "clean" document with no editing or commenting having
been done or be set to show all or a selected combination of comments,
edits, and revision marks.

The structure of a Word document file is such that if every bit of the file
does not download then Word or OpenOffice would see it as corrupted and
complain when attempting to open it. The design of file download programs
is such that, with rare exceptions, the file downloads completely and
successfully. And if it doesn't download successfully, it is very unlikely
to be recognized as a document file by the computer.

--
Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011