I have also had this problem, this year was the first time ever in 29 years w/
computers. Was working w/ someone  else in a rush working from home w/ out her
office equipment.

You are not alone!
Can you look through all the other places where you might have saved an earlier
version?

I now save documents and other important files in a variety of places going
along. Documents folder, desktop, specifically named folder for that type of
file, project folder etc. Messy but necessary for the way I work.

You can also set up a backup to an external hard drive/ rocket stick or dongle
etc so as to save elsewhere than your computer incase of hard drive problems.

Every time I save a document it gets a slightly different name. As an
example...  name, date, v 1,2 etc. V being version for that date. Messy but
reliable.

You may have a slightly earlier version somewhere which would avoid you having
to redo everything. Can you do a general search w/ slightly different names?

You can also email versions to yourself. You will then have the file in your
email as sent & received mail boxes. Do this at the end of the day.

Good luck!
We have all been there & it is a hard learned lesson. Everyone has this story
too so don’t feel to bad just deal with it for the future.

Lucetta