Thank you to Martin and Brian I have now sorted this out.
I knew there were Hard Returns and Soft Returns but never consciously used
them. I now have to understand which, when and where to use them as I add
items to the Newsletter.  I do not know how I have managed to format the
Newsletter for the last several months without encountering the problem
that started this week.
For Martin - I use the Index part of the template I work from and update it
when I change  the items that are changed in the next week's Newsletter.
For Brian - I made an error in using the words "Body Text" instead of "Text
Body" for Writer. The term becomes "Body Text" in Thunderbird email.
" the appearance of the relevant parts of the text changes or are you
actually looking at the applied paragraph style name?" The appearance of
the text actually changes along with the style name"
Thank you both for your help sorting this out for me.
Jean