On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 21:55:26 -0400
John Doyle <jjd1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> After using OpenOffice forever without any hitch, I have lost access to a
> VERY IMPORTANT file because of a strange ASCII filter option which I do not
> know what it means and do not want to know. Why did the system not just
> leave me alone to use .odt files like I always have? I think Apache
> Systems/Open Office should help out in this matter. My name is John Doyle,
> jjd1...@gmail.com and I am sending you the file in question, which contains
> every password I have ever used but I trust you not to share it. I can't
> function without it. For God's sake, please help. I have all the passwords
> for my 51 year old son who has weeks, not months left, with Stage 4
> Pancreatic cancer. He needs me to give him all his passwords or my
> grandsons. Thank you for your help. I tried the oppenofficeforum.org but
> nothing worked. I also deleted 4.1.5 and re-installed 4.1.10 but that too
> failed to get past the request for ASCII filter options, whatever the hell
> that is! Thanks for your help.

The file is damaged beyond repair, possibly due to over hasty power off of your
computer or closure of laptop lid, before the file housekeeping had been
transmitted

As soon as possible try the methods in this tutorial
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038for detailed
instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the
file.

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was
when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which
have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and
then deleted.  This may recover your file as it was when you last opened or you
last saved it.

Waste no time with the existing file - it will have (and has) no usable content.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>