Hi!

I am not sure what you mean by "opposite of helpful"

Turning it off is described in the first link.

Format -> AutoFormat -> while typing

If all the options are ticked off the AutoFormat is deactivated.

However, if you want to modify the behavior better ask on the development list for pointers .

All the best

Peter