I'm not going to attempt to address the licensing issues that you bring up, but
let me mention something about versioning.

Version numbers are rather arbitrary, and if you want to know if something is
far behind or not, instead, look at the feature set of the two versions.

Don't just assume that because one product is version 7 and one product is
version 2, that one of them is more advanced than the other.  And don't take
any of those version numbers is being meaningful in any way that I just quoted.

I use Fedora Linux that I think has a version release cycle of every 9 months.
So I will soon be installing version 35 I think.

I'm sorry I don't have a comparison list between the two and since I don't
really have access to a computer besides my phone I can't even search for one.

If you do find one or make a decision interested in what you find best of luck.

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​