You may find Quick Launch a better solution than pinning documents to the task bar or start menu. See
How to Add Quick Launch toolbar in Windows 10
https://mywindowshub.com/add-quick-launch-toolbar-windows-10/
- Russ

On 12/14/2021 2:10 PM, ACG wrote:
Correct.... the wail of many a Scottish school student despite being caught redhanded
"It was not me...."

/À nos devoirs/: (French, meaning: to the business at hand)

I am running Windows 10 (machine too old to upgrade, sadly) and I have a short-cut to OO writer on the start menu. It shows recent documents and here you can pin individual items to the menu - so they will stay there even if otherwise they would have dropped off the top 10 (or however many it is).

At any one time I will have a small number of documents I am referring to from time to time - so I will pin them for a period and then when the project has reached a conclusion (eg I have put the paper up online) then I will unpin it and in due course it will slide back into oblivion (ie the folder where I put it in the first place). Because the topics I am writing about overlap it is sometimes hard to make a clear and sensible choice as to which folder should be their home (and often this means going up several layers of nesting before descending as many again etc.... - which is why Brian's comments (below) while drôle are not actually apposite.

My remarks were primarily aimed at the list on the start menu. An upgrade to OO voided this list altogether and if I then opened the document via the recent documents frop down menu within the program itself this was not enough to put it back on the start menu recent document list. Only by going to the file itself and invoking OO writer by clicking on the file in question would it then be recognised and placed on the start menu recent list.

Although I was very annoyed at the time - and it took a while to work out what was going on - I am no masochist, so I have not recreated the problem for myself. However on occasion I have had to open a document from the RD menu in the program and then start the Save As process to establish where it is located. I can then go to the correct folder and open it /ab initio/ from there - putting it onto the start menu  RD list so that I can then pin it if required.

Returning to Brian's remark: we all know what happens to memory (computer and human) as it gets full: search time increases asymptotically. Such brain as I have left is far too valuable to be cluttered with car keys (always put them back in their place or there is serious trouble) or document folders.

Adrian