To format a ten digit number as (555) 555-1212 use the following format code

(###) ###-####

Enter the ten digits into the cell, e.g. 1234567890, and the number will be
displayed as (120) 456-7890
NOTE: area code must not start with zero. Zero in any other position will
maintain the format. There is a space between the right paren ) and the
next #.

To enter only ten digits and have the US dialing prefix, +1 displayed use
the following format code

Enter the ten digits into the cell, e.g. 1234567890, and the number will be
displayed as +1 (123) 456-7890
NOTE: there must be a space between the second quote " and left paren (. If
there is no space then the formatted result will be +1(123) 456-7890

--
Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011