At 19:02 14/03/2023 -0400, Sara Mahoney wrote:
... i just wanted to know --- I'm aware that, when making a table in a text document, those grid lines by default don't print out when it's printed…

I'm surprised that you say this, as - in my installation of OpenOffice at least - the default situation is that those table borders do indeed print.

Supposedly you can get them to print…but I don't know how¸ I was a little mad when in print preview, the lines weren't there and it didn't look like a table anymore. The Excel has this command, ...

I'm hoping that you don't mean Excel, which is a proprietary Microsoft product, but instead an OpenOffice spreadsheet document. So you must mean the Borders button and its associated drop-down menu that appear in the Formatting toolbar when you are editing a spreadsheet document.

... but the plain text documents don't. Is there any possible way you could add this command to text?

No need: it's already there.

Or, please tell me where to find it? Cuz I'm lost

With the insertion point in the table, go to Table | Table Properties... | Borders (or, perhaps more simply, right-click in the table and choose Table... | Borders). There you have a very flexible interface that allows you to select which cell borders print and which don't, as well as their style, thickness, and colour. I recommend that you experiment with this dialogue to see how it all works. There is more explanation of this under "Specifying table borders" in Chapter 9, "Working with Tables", of the Writer Guide, available from the web site.

Incidentally, this isn't relevant to what you asked, but it is worth saying that tables can be a very simple and effective formatting device in text documents even when the appearance of a table (and therefore its borders) are not what is required.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker