IF you are using Windows you may be experiencing a problem I have had over the past 6 months or so. To get OpenOffice to open its apps again, try this: While holding down the Ctrl and Shift keys, press the Esc key to open Task Manager. Under Background Processes, scroll down and look for instances of OpenOffice. Right-click on each instance of OpenOffice and, in the list that opens, left-click on "End task".
When all of the OpenOffice instances are gone, close Task Manager.
Now your OpenOffice should be able to open the app -- at least for awhile.
Every now and then I have to repeat this, but it is quicker than re-starting your computer.
I hope this helps.

---David Koch