This may or may not help, as I am running OpenOffice on a Linux machine;
however, I did have that same problem.

First thing for me was to make sure that I had purged my system of any
competing application (notably, LibreOffice). I am uncertain how to go about
this on your machine, as I haven't used other systems in a very long time.

Also, it might not matter so much with a different system. Most Linux systems
install LibreOffice by default, and moreover keep trying to uninstall
OpenOffice and to install LibreOffice instead. So that part may or may not
apply to your situation, but it's worth considering.

Second is the actual trick that I used to get OpenOffice to run without
crashing. After trying to start OpenOffice by clicking to open, and by trying
to open various office documents with OpenOffice, it occurred to me to try a
plain text document (that is, with the extension .txt).

I just clicked on the plain text document, and used the "open with" dialog,
then chose OpenOffice, and bingo! it worked. It's been running without a
hitch ever since.

Bill