Oooops... sorry about this... should have directed to Mozilla rather than OO

Adrian Grant

On 26/03/2024 14:23, ACG wrote:
Dear All,

I hope you will consider this problem for a future update:

I get very frustrated with attached pdf files.
If I want to open one, Thunderbird simply opens it in another tab.... within Thunderbird! This is absolutely not what I want. As a result I am faced with the laborious process of deciding where to save it then save it then open it in Acrobat reader. How much better it would be for the file to open in Reader and when I have looked at it then I can decide what (if anything) to do with it. My recollection is vague, but such as it is I seem to think that this opening within Thunderbird is a relative innovation.

The same thing does not happen with eg jpg or xls or odt where Thunderbird asks me to choose what to do.

I can see that there may be people who may be of the view that opening a pdf in Thunderbird is a step forward - thus eg you don't actually need Reader on the same device as Thunderbird, but at the same time I cannot see that removing the option to open in Reader is a good thing.

So please could pdf files join the rest or at least have the option to do so. If you really wanted to make Thunderbird Rolls Royce, then the clever thing to do would be to allow the user to nominate default solutions for each file type.

Adrian Grant

Adrian Grant (pronouns: Sir/Sir)
https://adriangrant1.academia.edu
contributions at