Hi,

On 02/03/09 15:27, Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:
I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the way in which Openoffice sorts items in alphabetical order.

Openoffice applies the “word-by-word” variant of alphabetical order, whereby spaces and certain punctuation marks are sorted before letters (so that, for example, New Haven comes before Newcastle), and I want to change this.

yes, Writer sorts paragraphs by comparing the characters one by one. To some extent, the sorting order that is defined by the rules of the given language is respected, too. For example, in the German spelling bible called "Duden", the umlauts Ä. Ö, Ü are sorted as if they are just plain A, O, U characters. So OpenOffice.org Writer should sort paragraphs the same way, if you set the language of those paragraphs to German.

Of course you must be able to sort the next list of English or French paragraphs according to English or French language rules, etc., so it is not a matter of locale or OS settings.

HTH,
Uwe
--
  u...@openoffice.org  -  Technical Writer
  StarOffice - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Hamburg, Germany