Web Kracked wrote:

How do I install the 3.1.1 DEB version of OOo on my Ubuntu system?

I get all these DEB files but how do I install them?
Seems that every one had dependancy problems.  There should be
one file to install and all of the rest will be installed as well.

I am a very new Linux user and the package of OOo for Ubuntu is
3.0.x.  So I want to go to 3.1.x instead.  I use GNOME as by UI
but I can switch to KDE if needed, but I prefer GNOME for now.
[some needed file viewing stuff in GNOME is not easily seen in KDE]

The default package manager seems to not see the DEB stuff that I downloaded
and extracted.

Any Help?

(1) If you have both KDE and GNOME installed in the same system, then there is no reason at all for you to be able to access any of the applications in only one of the two. These are desktop environments, which basically organise your user experience whilst using the X (graphical windows display) server. This enables you to see icons on a desktop, and so on. The entire GNU/Linux system can be operated without using any of these X-related libraries. Of course, the user's experience may feel compromised, but there you go.

(2) I would suggest that you delete the already-installed 3.0 version. Use your "default package manager" [what is the application called? apt? aptitude? synaptic?] to mark and uninstall the OOo pkg. Once you have done that, then go to #3 below.

(3) You could run the Ubuntu equivalent of dpkg -i <filename-of-latest-OO.o.pkg-deb>. Easy to check: type into a terminal window, the following three terms without quotes: "sudo dpkg --help" [if you haven't installed and configured sudo yet, you should do so]. If something other than an error message is displayed after you hit ENTER then you are good to go: again no quotes "sudo dpkg -i <filename-of-latest-OO.o.pkg-deb>"

(4) Join an on-line user community to enhance your user experience. Here's a couple of really friendly, patient and informed sites: http://www.linuxquestions.org [read all about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinuxQuestions.org ] and Ubuntu's own site: http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/webforums and their mailing lists: http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists These folk are better than any support & service contract you buy!

The GNU/Linux user community is very welcoming and will be supportive. Gnerally, it is true to say that you will be helped more when you demonstrate that you are trying to help yourself learn +your+ operating system. The system belongs to you and is yours: in MS world, the fine print of their EULA stipulates that they retain ownership of the OS. There's a host of other elements that are quite different from what you might already be used to.
I hope I haven't been belabouring the obvious to you.

AG