Andreas Saeger wrote:

> Graham P Davis wrote:
>> When I open a text file into Calc, I keep getting numeric data preceded
>> by a single quote. This is with 3.1.1. I think this bug arrived with 3.1.
>>
>> Can't change it in replace as changing it to a blank is seemingly
>> impossible. Why can't I specify changing "'" to ""?
>>

> Hi,
> The opposite is true on my system running Sun's OOo 3.1.1 on Linux.
> A text line with quoted strings evaluates to numbers.
>
> "1","3.14","2009-09-15","3.12%"
>
> I have to specify "Text" as import option for every column of text. Then
> I get the text-tag in front of every numeric value which prevents the
> numeric evaluation.
> Very annoying.

Thank you, you've pointed me in the right direction. I tried un-ticking
"text" but this made no difference so then ticked "detect special numbers".
That did the trick. No bug, just a changed default I suppose. Oh, and the
text columns got imported OK without "text" being ticked. Weird.

I'm running the same version as you, rather than openSUSE's own flavour
which gave me trouble in the past. Having said that, I'm using that in the
latest beta of 11.2 and had no trouble.

--
Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK.  E-mail: newsman not newsboy
"I wear the cheese. It does not wear me."