On 09/07/10 03:41, John Kaufmann wrote:
In a message dated 2010.09.06 18:03 -0500, Clayton wrote:

Several of the people who wrote the User Guide content are active
there, and can either take the knowledge you do have and maybe
correct the docs, or contribute to some combined effort to "get it
right" or at least less confusing. From there, we can look at
correcting or clarifying the application Help a little.  ...

... armed with the right questions, we can chase down the developers
and maybe get some clarification. It won't be an instant solution,
but it can be added to the list of things to fix in the docs. We've
got people on the Doc team willing to jump in there and fix things if
they know what needs to be worked on. This would be a great project
for someone.

Sounds promising. I'm only worried about the "/maybe/ get clarification" - people who do documentation should never have to wonder whether they can get clarification on what they document.

John

Hi,

the OpenOffice.org software code has its roots waaayy back in the last millenium. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openoffice.org and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice

It is very possible that the developers of older software modules are no longer available for questions and answers. And the current developers normally have other priorities than to browse through very old code just to see how some features work internally.

Mail merge, envelopes, and such are very old features, having been available since the first release of StarWriter. And the corresponding Help pages might be as old :-(

Do not assume that Help authors have access to a universal source of complete answers to all their questions. They can ask the developers about new features, but for most old features there is only experimentation or code inspection.

Uwe
--

Uwe Fischer | Technical Writer
Oracle Office GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande