On 11/08/2010 02:44 PM, webmas...@krackedpress.com wrote:

> When I moved from Ubuntu's Go-oo version to Oracle's version on the
> OOo web site, I noticed that there is a new listing on the
> "Gnome Panel > Applications > Office"
> called
> "OpenOffice.org 3.2 Printer Administration".
>
> What is it used for?  The Help section inside OOo 3.2.1 does not
> have any listing for it.  I checked the Document Project linked from the
> OOo site and I did not find a reference for it either, or at least my
> searches
> did not find any.
>
> So what is this actually used for?  The only thing I see is a font option
> that is not part of the normal properties of a printer properties.  The Font
> substitution table in that option looks different than the one in the
> "Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org > Fonts" replacement table.
>
> The real thing is that the OOo web site 64-bit Debian 3.2.1 version has
> it while the Go-oo version in Ubuntu's system does not.  Why is it there
> for one and not there for the other?

It's in the (U)OOo versions as well:
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/spadmin
and has been part of OOo for quite some time (since at least version 1.0).

> What is it really used for, or why is it needed for Oracle's version of OOo
> on the OOo site?
>
> As I said, this is the first time I have seen it, but cannot find any
> reference to it in any documentation I have access to.

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=openoffice+%2Bspadmin&btnG=Search>

I think it's largely unused any longer for regular users, but the
purpose is to set up fonts/printers for OOo exclusively. Examples are in
the old 1.1 setup guide:
<http://documentation.openoffice.org/files/documents/75/1588/SETUP_GUIDE.pdf>
and here:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Font-FAQ
Odd that nothing's been documented for OOo 3.x.