On 12/23/2010 9:43 AM, Barbara Duprey wrote:
When you use any format except ODF, there is a conversion process that has to take place, and conversions always introduce the possibility of some problems.
My experience with these conversion is that the problems arise with images and tables. They do not always convert correctly to the earlier MS Office file formats. I do not have MS office program more recent than Office 2003 and Word Viewer 2007, so I cannot confirm anything about the conversion to more recent formats.

I do confirm Barbara's remarks about PDF conversion. My experience is that anything I have put into an native OO.o format appears in a PDF export exactly as it appears in the OO.o format.

Beyond this, I find that if I want to further modify the file after saving in PDF format, I save in the hybrid odt-pdf format, which requires the "Sun PDF extension". The saved file still has the pdf extension, and will be opened by your pdf viewer if double clicked, but it can be opened and edited in OO.o. The OO.o codes are embedded in the pdf code, and the OO.o and PDF codes are ignored, respectively by PDF viewer and the OO.o program.

--David Teague