On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 15:33 -0500, G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 11:48 -0700, Solveig L Haugland wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 
> > Thanks for your quick reply. I'm having problems way before that, 
> > though. (Just responding to you since I'm attaching a screen shot and so 
> > I can provide a cleaner solution in the end after all the questions.)
> > 
> 
> First, download OOo_2.0.1_Win32Intel_install_wJRE.ex that is the one
> with the working JRE. Note the .exe extension. This means it is
> executable. Put this on the server.
> 
> The instructions you use below appear to be for 1.1.x and they may or
> may not work with 2.x.
> 
> > On the server:
> > - I unpack the files.
> > - Should I run the whole install first? I'm assuming so but not sure.
> > - I cd to the unpacked directory on the server. Is that the correct 
> > directory or should I go to the installed directory, to run setup /net?
> > - I type setup /net  in the directory where the unpacked files are.  I 
> > get the attached screen shot. Should this happen? I'm not sure what 
> > exactly to put in for each required variable.
> 
> Why bother, simply double-click the exe or run it from a MSDOS command
> window.  Do have a proper windows session going. You could do it by
> mounting the remote server filesystem on the local machine. In this case
> use the Custom install and select everything and use the target or
> whatever it is called to point to the remote filesystem. WARNING, no
> spaces in the name or you will have problems with your clients.
> 
> > 
> > On the client:
> > - I doubleclick the file    installedprogramfile\program\soffice.exe  on 
> > the server,   and the program just starts on the client. I don't get the 
> > smaller client installation program I'm expecting. Also I can't save 
> > files in OpenOffice.org format.
> > - And if I double-click the file    unpackedprogramfile\setup.exe on the 
> > server,   I just get the normal installation program, not the smaller 
> > client installation program I'm expecting.
> > 
> 
> On the client simply invoke soffice via the full path or mount the
> remote filesystem and then use that to get to soffice. The rest should
> be plain simple.
> 
> Do check the new setup guide at
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/setup_guide2/2.x/en/SETUP_GUIDE.pdf
> for window installation. The expectation in the document is that you are
> working on the server during installation.
> 
> Hope this helps. If not let me know where you are getting stalled.
> > 
> > G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
> > 
> > >On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 11:28 -0700, Solveig L Haugland wrote:
> > >  
> > >
> > >>Hi,
> > >>
> > >>I have to admit I'm having trouble doing a multi-user installation, on 
> > >>Windows. I get inconsistent results. The /net option gives me a huge 
> > >>list of parameters or a message not use that approach depending on which 
> > >>machine I use. I'm not sure which .exe to run on the client (neither 
> > >>seems to yield the client install window though doing the /net install 
> > >>correctly will fix this I assume), and as mentioned before if possible 
> > >>would love to know where all the settings are stored on client and user.
> > >>
> > >>I've referred to the Setup Guide but was wondering if there was 
> > >>something more step-by-step out there.
> > >>
> > >>    
> > >>
> > >
> > >First, I should think that simply clicking install for all users or what
> > >ever it is called would do the trick assuming you are on the server.
> > >Works for me on the one XP box I have with multiple users. I would
> > >expect that you could do the same thing to, say, a Samba server using
> > >the customize installation. Have you tired this approach? The Setup
> > >Guide does recommend this for 2.0. For 1.1.5, using setup -net is the
> > >approach to take and the various screens should guide you to completion.
> > >  
> > >

I have been thinking about this since we communicated off-line and have
come to the conclusion that you are confused. Please post exactly what
you are trying to achieve as the end result. I think that from your
first post that your goal is much different than what I interpreted.

-- 
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead
http://documentation.openoffice.org/ 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to