Hi Fred,
There are two problems: The function has no declared type and 'a' is defined twice, in the function declaration and in the function body.
This works (at least in OOo 2.0.1):

Function addit (a as integer)as integer
   a = a + 1
   addit = a
   End Function

So does this:

Function addit (a as integer)as integer
   addit = a + 1
   End Function


tc

Howard Coles Jr. wrote:

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 18:08, Fred Grant wrote:
 In the IDE I have:
        Function addit (a)
        dim a as integer
        a = a + 1
        addit = a
        End Function
In cell A2 when I enter a user function such as =addit(A1) the screen
freezes for a long time.  If I try to close the program I get "document
cannot be closed while a link is being updated".

I have ver 1.1.2 on Fedora Core2 and I've done things like this in the
past with no problem.

Any thoughts?

Try giving your variable a name different than the function name. That may be causing your problems. I'm by NO means a knowledgeable person on this, but from what programming I have studied this would be bad thing.

Reply via email to