Jeffrey McDonald wrote:
I gave my mom OO to use since her computer doesn't have MS Office, and she
needs to work with a .doc file to submit a book to Lulu.com for editing.
When she opened the edited .doc she got back from the editor, with changes
marked and the option supposed to be made individually to keep what the
editor suggested or what she originally had, every time she presses the
delete key anywhere in the document it just strikes through the text. She
wants the text to be completely deleted, not struk through, and saving the
document isn't deleting the struck through text. When I've made my own
documents in Writer, delete and backspace don't strike through the text, but
just delete it. How do I fix it so she stops getting the strike-through?

Also, we copied and pasted text from individual .doc files for her chapters to make one big .doc file, and the text that was pasted all became green and
underlined. I'm having trouble undoing that too.

The situation that you're having comes about because change tracking is still turned on. If you click on Edit, and then point to Changes, you should see that there is a check mark next to Record. All you have to do is to click on Record, which will toggle the check mark off and turn off change tracking.

To get rid of the edit marks, go to Edit > Changes > Accept and Reject.