On Wednesday 10 January 2007 23:38, Mathias Bauer wrote:
> Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> > I see a filter in my OpenOffice.org writer that shows that I can open
> > WordPro Docs (from Lotus Smartsuite).  However, when I open a doc it just
> > comes up a blank page.
> > I'm running 2.0.4 (because Kubuntu doesn't have packages for 2.1 and I'm
> > not into reverse engineering any rpms).
> > I did install 2.1 on a Windoze box, but I didn't see any filters for
> > opening WordPro files.
>
> OOo "officially" doesn't contain such a filter. If you found one on any
> platform it must have been added by the distributor.
>
> There is an experimental version of a simple lwp filter that tries to
> just get the text out of lwp documents but until now the quality of it
> wasn't good enough to achieve even this in a reliable manner.
>
> Maybe someone added this filter (that exists as a patch in Issue
> Tracker) to your distro. I know some people who love to add unfinished
> work to their official builds and let users test it. They call this
> "incremental development". :-)
>
> > The question is, is this, or ever was this, a real ability of
> > OpenOffice.org? If so, does anyone have any hints about making it work?
>
> If you happened to use the mentioned filter prototype the only way would
> be to ask the developer(s) how things are going. I don't remember the
> issue number but you can search for a "patch" issue in the "word
> processor" component assigned to "flr".
>
> Ciao,
> Mathias

Your best bet if you have a lot of files to convert is to install a 9.x
version of WordPro and do the batch conversion process. I think the old
versions of StarOffice had the Mastersoft AmiPro filter (AmiPro is where
WordPro came from).

Otherwise, you can go to http://www.s2services.com/lwp-viewers.htm which is
the Lotus website for downloading Key Viewer (runs in Windoze) to view
WordPro file contents and copy them from the clipboard.

You can open with Lotus KeyView, print to Adobe PDF (you have to have an Adobe
PDF Printer), open the PDF with Adobe, save as a Microsoft Word (.dot) file,
and it will keep all formatting.

Batch converter for WordPro 9.x

If you have SmartSuite 9.x, you can use the Batch Converter utility for Word
Pro to quickly process your files. This is a free download.

To use the batch converter to convert between Lotus WordPro and any other
format, such as RTF, Word Perfect, and of course, WordStar, for which you
have the conversion filters installed:

    * Place the downloaded file into any folder and open it in WordPro.
    * A new menu option will be added to the File menu, and a set of
instructions will be displayed.
    * Select the option, "Batch File Converter..." to start.

The converter will convert files in sub-folders and can output to different
folders.

    * Download version 1.23 of the Lotus WordPro Batch Converter from this
site.

http://www.wordstar.org/wordstar/downloads/BatchConverter.lwp

Bob.
--