TerryJ wrote:

>> I agree with using some such method (although probably suggested in jest)
>> for a copy of the file NOT password-protected.  There have been enough
>> reports of OpenOffice failing to recognise passwords, and the files
>> consequently becoming irretrievable, to convince me that password setting
>> in OpenOffice is unreliable.
>>
>> The cases where this happens are distinguished from incorrect passwords
>> being offered by the fact that an incorrect password results in immediate
>> rejection.  Somehow OpenOffice corrupts the encryption process and, when
>> the correct password is entered, it will begin to open the file and,
>> during that process, announce that the password is incorrect.  At that
>> point, not even the password cracker on www.ooomacros.org will save you -
>> you have lost the file forever, unless you have invested in a disk and a
>> safe.

It comes down to something I read about computer crime.  One of the
members of a computer club put it this way:  Take that computer, turn
off all the power, put it in the middle of a safe in a highly fortified
tower.  That's 100 percent safe.  Now take the same thing, only put a
guard in front with a key.  You've just cut the security by half.
So essentially, if you want theoretical safety, you're going to have to
worry less about encrypting the file and more about making sure the
paths to that file are secured.  That and having trust in the people
that are using it not to reveal secrets.