On 6 Apr 2007, at 22:58, James Knott wrote:

Richard Detwiler wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Larry Gusaas wrote:

Gordon wrote:

Raghavendra Gupta wrote:

Hello

I am using open office version 2.2, However, it does not recognise
the
files created in word 2007.

Any suggestions

Thanks

MS Office 97, 2000, 2002 and 2003 don't recognise 2007 files
EITHER! Not
without a converter add-in!
More arrogant "couldn't care less about our customers" thinking from
MS....

OO.o changed file format in version 2.0. Earlier version require a
converter add-in also. Think about the implications before insulting
M$ - although they do usually deserve it.

????

Unless I'm completely mistaken, OO can read & write the old OO format
files.  Please make sure you have your facts straight, before making
accusations.

I think the point was that the OLD OOo (pre 2.0) could not read the
new format (2.0 and beyond).

I can't verify whether that's the case or not, but I believe that was
the point being made.

In any event, this seems fairly standard in software versions, that
older versions often can't read files created by newer versions.

OO 2.x can read and write the old format files.  OO 1.1.5 can read but
not write v2 files.  MS Word recent versions cannot read older files,
such as Word 6, even though OO can. Even if OO v2 files could no longer be read, you can still take one apart and read the contents. The new MS format is compatible with nothing else. There are several apps that can
read & write OO v2 files, more properly called ISO standard Open
Document Format files.

Also just to add my 2 pence worth...
It doesn't really matter if the old OOo reads the new format or not, as no-one is trying to charge you for it so you are not locked into buying a new version every x years. Every time a new format comes out one may just download the new program which will read formats both old and new.

Tom