On Sunday 30 September 2007 07:12:17 James Knott wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> NOT hardly. ONLY if they're put into a very tight bind do they
> >> even attempt it.
> >>
> >> Fred
> >
> > And just how do you know they aren't. Just look at their track
> > record.
> >
> > If they don't want to do exactly what I said they would not be
> > trying to get OOXML ISO approved. What would be the point? We
> > already have an ISO approved OpenDocument Format. We do we need
> > two?
> >
> > Microsoft does not want to cooperate with other software
> > manufactures. Look at all the things we have two of and the
> > ones that Microsoft made only work on Microsoft but the others
> > work on all OSs. Does it look like Microsoft is trying to work
> > with the rest of the software manufactures? Why is Microsoft
> > the only one that is different? Everyone else uses the
> > established standards. Microsoft creates their own.
> >
> > So, what were you saying? I don't think any one heard you.
>
> I suggest you go back and read your own messages, as you're
> arguing against yourself.  You claimed they support all file
> formats.  That means they'd happily work with ODF, Word Perfect,
> PC Write or whatever files.  You then talk about them pushing
> OOXML on ISO as a standard, rather than work with the existing
> ODF standard.  Which is it?

No what I was saying is that Microsoft wants to dominate/control the
file formats that are most used and popular. For them to do that
they either have to some how gain control of the formats they have
nothing to do with currently or replace them with their own. I said
they were trying. I did not say it would happen.

Microsoft wants to be on top and does not want to share that with
any one and they will try to do whatever they can to achieve that
goal. I don't think they will succeed. I do not support or believe
in the Microsoft philosophy. I do not buy their software or their
hardware.

The heads of Microsoft are not stupid. They are very good at what
they do. The company markets themselves and their products and does
a very good job at selling the same. Do I think they have good
products? No. I do, however, think they do a very good job moving
their crappy products. You don't become a dominate market leader
with crappy products if you don't have a good marketing strategy
and a good sales record. Microsoft is a force to be reckoned with,
but they can be brought down by understanding them and putting a
very organized campaign together to defeat them or at least take
away a large chunk of their market share.

Until the Linux community understands Microsoft's strategy and goal
and how they are getting it done, the Linux community will not
remove Microsoft from their dominate place on the desktop. I do
think the Linux community is moving in that direction. I believe
the office suite is where Linux will be able to penetrate the
Microsoft dominance, IF the OOXML fails to become a standard.
Governments are requiring the use of Open source file formats and
Microsoft knows that they will lose major market share to
OpenOffice.org if they are unsuccessful in their effort to get
OOXML approved. Once OpenOffice.org can become the dominate player
or close to it, that will open the door to more people looking at
and trying Linux. Once that happens then the dominance on the
desktop will shift. What will happen when that shift begins is
completely unknown. The only thing I believe is that Microsoft
won't have the major dominating postion they have now. They might
be able to stay in the lead but that lead will shrink.

Compare the Software industry battle to the American Auto
manufactures and the Japanese Auto manufactures from the 1970s to
the present. There is a similarity in attitude and market share
dominance and a major shift did happen. We will see something
similar.

--
http://24.197.142.167/ See the OpenOffice.org FAQ
Microsoft users go to http://www.pclinuxos.com for a great user