Hi Mike and all,

> Thank you everyone for the great response,
>
> Now there are many choices for "evaluated from a to b" which will work
> well in different situations.  Math fonts might prove to be the best
> solution for many situations, but I did not try them, these will work
> great for me.
>
> Just to summarize the best looking ones, (for posterity):
> (I recommend that you copy and paste them all and pick what you need)
>
> left[ f(x) right]_a ^b newline
> f(x) size*1.7 "|"_a^b newline
> f(x) left lline stack{b # "" # a} right none newline
> left none f(x) right rline ^b_a newline newline
> left none f(x) size *2 phantom {} right rline ^b_a newline
> f(x) {size *2 \rline} ^b_a newline
> left none stack{ {} # f(x)# {} } right rline ^b_a

Having that many choices for the same problem seems to be a bit troublesome.

I would prefer a single solution if possible. Thus if you like you may
submit an issue to me ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) about this. And to better see
what is expected in detail please add 1 to 3 images about what it should
look like for different sizes.
That is at least
- one for a single line argument
  e.g. f(x) = x + y |...
- one for a small multi line line argument
  e.g. f(x) = a over b |...
- one for a larger multi line argument
  e.g. f(x) = stack{a#b#c#d} |...
If I find the results similar enough (in respect to the size of the
argument and the relative position) I'm willing to implement sth.
special for this to make it easier to use.

Regards,
Thomas