On Dec 27, 2007 2:18 PM, Sian Harper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello, I have recently downloaded OpenOffice and have tried to open my
> database project in openOffice but it will not open (I'm doing A-Level ICT-
> this file I am trying to open is for part of my course). From my
> understanding from what I have been told, I should be able to open the
> Microsoft Access database in openoffice base. Could you please tell me if it
> is at all possible to open my project with your software?

Sian,

I've been able to connect OOo Base to an MS Access table as follows...
- Open Base
- Select the option to connect to an existing database
  - from the list of database types select Microsoft Access (it's at the top
of the list*)
- click Next>>
- click Browse and pick out the MS Access database from wherever it is**
- click Next >>
- click Finish

The tables and queries in the MS Access database will now be available to
you in Base. The forms, reports and other elements are not available
however. I believe what's going on is Base is connecting to the data, not
actually opening the file as MS Access would.

* - This selection is available when I'm using computers with Windows XP
installed regardless of whether the computer has MS Office installed or not
** - The Access database can be on the local hard drive, e.g.,
C:\<wherever>, or on a network share that isn't mapped to a drive letter,
e.g., \\someserver\sharename\pathtofile. Both have worked successfully for
me.