On 2008/03/23 12:31 PM,  ~d *{,-)> - aka UNITE wrote:
Greetings James,

I went to the site you suggested (the one I tried before) and got the same
results. Here is the list of my results after clicking on the "download."
http://download.openoffice.org/

http://download.openoffice.org/contribute.html?download=bouncer&prod

http://openoffice.bouncer.osuosl.org/download.php

Next, I found a mirror (?) site in Utah and downloaded both the program and
the update. However, when installing, I got a message saying that it
required X11 and that could be had at the Mac download site, so I went
there.  When it was downloaded, I tried to open and install it and was
greeted with the information that it couldn't be done because it was already
on the machine.

I'll admit, I'm pretty much at a loss. Ideas  are very welcome.

Be well, David

I'm assuming that you are using OS 10.4 Tiger. X11 has to be installed from your system install disk. The version on the Apple download site is for OS 10.3. See the instructions at <http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/faq/installing/index.html>