I think you are speaking here about different cases.

One is making HA backup node. When we are backing up full node to
another node (1:1) - zfs send/receive is much better (and the goal is to
save data, not running processes). Without zfs - ploop snapshotting and
vzmigrate is good enough (over SSD), and rsync with ext4 (simfs inside
CT) is really pain.

The other case is migrating large amount of CTs over large amount of
nodes for resource usage balancing [with zero downtime]. There is no
alternatives to vzmigrate here although zfs send/receive with
per-container ZVOL can speed up this process [if it's important to
transfer between nodes faster with less network usage]

--
Best Regards,
Nick Knutov