The openvz install takes care of the kernel dependencies. No worries about
overwriting the openvz kernel with a non-vz-aware kernel with a yum update.
Also, the openvz kernel is maintained and kept up to date, incorporating
upstream security patches quickly. I haven't seen any problem with updates
and the openvz kernel, since I started looking into openvz in 2009 or so.

JJ