Answering my own question for future inquirers -

After successfully testing an lxc container as a NAT gateway, I resumed
testing on openvz. I remembered there was some sort of setting to enable
iptables in a container, and eventually found it:

# prlctl set MyCT --netfilter full

Of course, fighting with firewalld is a whole different set of problems,
but with firewalld off, it works perfectly. I'll either find the magic
tweak that makes firewalld allow the forwarding, or I'll live
without firewalld for now.

Jake