--snip--

> > Could someone explain why oVirt is even requiring ownership of the
> > iso images by
> > a specific user and group?  Isn't it enough to just require
> > read/write
> > permissions on the export?  The file ownership requirement is
> > causing us
> > problems because we have an NFSv4 storage appliance that refuses to
> > chown files
> > to 36:36 because those users are not known to the appliance.
>
> I have a vague, unsubstantiated memory, that this was intentional
> decision. Maybe it was intended to differentiate RHEV-available
> images
> from unrelated files on the same nfs export.
>
> However, I consider this behavior ugly, ununixish, and
> counter-productive. I wouldn't nack a Vdsm patch that checks
> readability
> only, preferably with a backward-compat mode.

Wasn't that set since the ISO domain is a Storage Domain with meta-data? And
you do want the rw meta-data to have a specific owner right?
You can set global read permission for the images directory however you still
won't get rid of the need for having ownership on files, meaning the NFS
storage should be able to set ownership.

I think you can only really get rid of the ownership limitation by removing the
storage domain structure around the ISO-Domain and settle for a mount point.

Additionally, it still won't solve the case of having data Storage Domain over
NFS - you really need ownership there.
The a solution for that, in the case the end users do not have permission to
set new users on the storage side and have to result to existing users, will be
to allow setting the storage owners users (or for vdsm:kvm so masquerade as
that user).

Simon.