On 09/07/2012 08:46 PM, Jason Brooks wrote:
> On 09/07/2012 08:59 AM, Neo Vlanik wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Forgive me if this is a dump question.
>> What is the difference between ovirt and openstack projects?
>
> I think of it like this: OpenStack is / aims to be an open source Amazon
> Web Services (EC2, S3, etc.), oVirt is / aims to be an open source vSphere.
>
> The former tends toward more automation, the latter toward more
> flexibility. There's a good deal of overlap though.
>
> That's my take, I'm interested to hear others' viewpoints.
>
> Also, I've seen Kyle Mestery blog on the topic:
> http://www.siliconloons.com/?p=179.

I think both technologies are very complementary. OpenStack currently
currently has no good management interface and I look at oVirt as mostly a
cloud management interface. I can see a future in which oVirt is used to
manage a bunch of openstack nodes. Quantum integration is already happening
and User management is already external to oVirt so keystone can probably
plugged in there at some point. Then either vdsm needs to learn to talk to
nova or oVirt needs to learn to talk to nova as an alternative to vdsm.

Regards,
  Dennis