On 10/03/2012 02:51 PM, Antoni Segura Puimedon wrote:

Hello

My first email on the mailing, I hope the first one of a longue
serie.

Welcome to community :)

The email concerns a Network Card order issue for which I like to
report a have your advises.

I've made a template which contains 2 network cards, Each one
bridge
on different vlan network.
When I create a VM from this template, the network card mac address
assignation is random... so that by default my fedora assign eth0
the smallest mac address, and so on for eth1/eth2 ...

But no way to define network card order in template, so that
sometime
the smallest mac address is on eth0, sometime on eth1 (and in fact
more often on eth1), sometime my VM works, sometime I have to
destroy and recreate network interfaces.

Unfortunately it's a known issue that related mostly to guest kernel
rather than RHEV-M.
This is not related to order of NICs during VM start, because RHEV-M
keep the MAC assignment
and even PCI address assignment same over VM reboots.

The real reason hidden somewhere deep in kernel/udev behaviour.
We need to understand why 2 NICs with same MAC addresses and same PCI
addresses may get different names (eth0/eth1)
over machine reboot.

Michael, any ideas?

Is there a workaround or anything else ?

No, I am not aware of any workaround

Wouldn't it be possible to write some matching rules in:
     /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

maybe leverage cloud-init (or your own script) and payload as a workaround for now.
maybe worth solving this via cloud-init/payload as a built in solution.

for your template so you would have it consistent. Mind that you should
not rename to the kernel eth namespace.

Best,

Toni

Regards,