True LDAP does not require a password encryption method and is
perfectly happy with cleartext storage and use.

In practice, one uses a secure channel (LDAPS or Starttls or encrypted
network) and most LDAP servers (such as OpenLDAP) will allow several
different kinds of password encryption.

An application, though, should not ever deal with this issue.  The
password should be validated by doing a BIND operation, and the
application should not do any READ operations on the userPassword
value at any time, only authenticate operations.  Let the LDAP server
manage authentication.

Groups are harder.  You cannot rely on the presence of a memberOf
attribute, unfortunately, and schema are contextually meaningless, so
you need a way for the directory administrator to tell the client code
how groups are being stored in the server.  Thierry gives one example,
another is groupOfNames using a "member" attribute containing DNs of
members.  Those are the two most common methods, but there are more.

--Charlie