Hi,

this is a bit complex issue, so I´l try and be as clear as possible. We are
running oVirt-3.1 in our production environment, based on minimal Fedora 17
installs. We have 4xHP 380's (Intel) running in one cluster, and 2xSun 7310's
(AMD) in another cluster. They have shared storage over NFS to a FreeBSD-based
system that uses ZFS as a filesystem. The storage boots off of a mirrored ZFS
pool made up of two USB's that only houses /, while /var, /usr, etc. lies on a
separate ZFS pool made up of the rest of the HDD's in the system. It looks like
this:

FS                                            MOUNTPOINT
pool1 (The mirrored USB's)    none
pool1/root                               / (mounted ro)
pool2 (The regular HDD's)     none
pool2/root                               none
pool2/root/usr                        /usr
pool2/root/usr/home              /usr/home
pool2/root/usr/local               /usr/local
pool2/root/var                        /var
tmpfs                                       /tmp
pool2/export                          /export
pool2/export/ds1                   /export/ds1
pool2/export/ds1/data           /export/ds1/data
pool2/export/ds1/export       /export/ds1/export
pool2/export/ds1/iso             /export/ds1/iso
pool2/export/ds2                   /export/ds2
pool2/export/ds2/data           /export/ds2/data

/etc/exports:
/export/ds1/data     -alldirs -maproot=root 10.0.0.(all of the HV's)
/export/ds1/export -alldirs -maproot=root 10.0.0.(all of the HV's)
/export/ds1/iso        -alldirs -maproot=root 10.0.0.(all of the HV's)
/export/ds2/data     -alldirs -maproot=root 10.0.0.(all of the HV's)

To make those USB's last for as long as possible, / is usually mounted
read-only. And when you need to change anything, you need to remount / to
read-write, do the maintenance, and then remount back to read-only again. But
when you issue a mount command, the VM's in oVirt pause. At first we didn´t
understand that was actually the cause and tried to correlate the seemingly
spontaneous pausing to just about anything, Then I was logged in to both
oVirt's webadmin, and the storage at the same and issued "mount -uw /", and
*boom*, random VM's started to pause:) Not all of them though, and not just
every one in either cluster or something, it is completely random which VM's
are paused every time.

# time mount -ur /

real 0m2.198s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.002s

And here´s what vdsm on one of the HV's thought about that:
http://pastebin.com/MXjgpDfU

It begins with all VM's being "Up", then me issuing the remount on the storage
from read-write to read-only which took 2 secs to complete, vdsm freaking out
when it shortly looses it´s connections and lastly me at 14:34 making them all
run again from webadmin.

Two things:
1) Does anyone know of any improvements that could be made on the storage side,
apart from the obvious "stop remounting", since patching must eventually be
made, configurations changed, and so on. A smarter way of configuring
something? Booting from another ordinary HDD is sadly out of the question
because there isn´t any room for any more, it´s full. And I would have really
like it rather to boot from the HDD's that are already in there, but there are
"other things" preventing that.
2) Nothing in engine was logged about it, no "Events" were made and nothing in
engine.log that could indicate something had gone wrong at all. If it wasn´t
serious enough to issue a warning, why disrupt the service with pausing the
machines? Or at least automatically start them back up when connection to the
storage almost immediately came back on it´s own. Saying nothing made it really
hard to troubleshoot, since we didn´t initially knew at all what could be
causing the pauses to happen, and when.

Best Regards
/Karli Sjöberg