On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 04:48:13PM +0100, Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After having successfully migrated Debian, XP, 2003, 2008 VMs, I'm
> stuck with a migration I was expecting to be easy : RHAS3.
>
> Here is the error log I get :
>
> ># virt-v2v -i libvirt -ic qemu+ssh://xxxx@xxxx/system -o rhev -os
> >xxxx:/data/vmexport -of qcow2 -oa sparse -n ovirtmgmt serv-rhas3-vm1
> >serv-rhas3-vm1_copy.raw: 100%
> >[=====================================================================================================]D
> > 0h10m14s
> >virt-v2v: Pas de capability dans la configuration correspondant à os='linux'
> >name='virtio' distro='rhel' major='3' minor='0'
> >virt-v2v: Pas de capability dans la configuration correspondant à os='linux'
> >name='cirrus' distro='rhel' major='3' minor='0'
> >virt-v2v: WARNING: Le pilote d'affichage a été modifié en cirrus, mais il
> >est impossible d'installer le pilote cirrus. X pourrait ne pas fonctionner
> >correctement
> >virt-v2v: WARNING: /boot/grub/device.map fait référence à un périphérique
> >/dev/fd0 inconnu. Cette entrée doit être corrigée manuellement après la
> >conversion.
> >virt-v2v: WARNING: /boot/grub/device.map fait référence à un périphérique
> >/dev/sda inconnu. Cette entrée doit être corrigée manuellement après la
> >conversion.
> >sh: sh:  at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Sys/VirtConvert/GuestfsHandle.pm
> >line 200.
> > at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Sys/VirtConvert/Converter/RedHat.pm line
> > 2321
>
> I don't mind the warnings and I also had such errors I was able to
> correct manually.
>
> But here, the last two lines are lethal.
>
> It seems oVirt tries to guess which OS is imported, and tries to do
> specific actions, and do them bad.
> Either there's a way o prevent oVirt from guessing, either there's a
> way to correct the actions oVirt is failing to do...
>
> Googling was not that helpful about this issue.

I'm not totally clear what "RHAS 3" is, but you're correct that
virt-v2v has to detect[1] the type of operating system in the guest in
order to determine what operations it has to perform on that guest.

It uses the configuration file /etc/virt-v2v.conf to map the guest
type into drivers that have to be installed, but some of this is also
hard-coded inside the program.

Matt (CC'd) might have some more suggestions.

Rich.

[1] You can find out what virt-v2v (actually, what libguestfs) thinks
is in your guest by doing:

  virt-inspector serv-rhas3-vm1

("virt-inspector2" if this is RHEL 6).